Elefun in Jaipur is a community village for elephants set up by the local tourism department of Rajasthan government. It is one-of-its-kind elephant sanctuary that is dedicated towards the well-being of the species and was established to conserve and care for the elephants rescued from circuses, jungles and places where the animals are treated poorly.
Elephants here are provided food, shelter and a natural habitat to live in. The place is a must visit and is highly recommended when traveling with kids.
Located in close proximity to Amer fort in Amer, Jaipur, the tour to Elefun can be combined with the visit to Amer fort. 2 – 3 hours is an ideal timeframe to experience the place at its fullest as one gets to know everything about elephants, the ways they are taken care of, their food patterns, and all things relative.
Going on a safari on elephant back is an option here.
Things to do at Elefun Jaipur
1. Learn to Communicate with the Elephant: Each visitor gets introduced to an individual elephant and spends the day with that particular elephant. The elephant and the visitor are allowed to get to know each other through various communication tactics that help both to get along. This is done to make the elephant be comfortable with its caretaker (visitor) of the day.
The crew at Elefun teaches few basic physical techniques where the visitors learn to communicate with their respective elephants, like touch and smell. Stroking is the best way to make an elephant comfortable and get used to a human presence around him.
Each elephant at Elefun has a name and the visitor can get acquainted with their friend during the course of their visit. The crew will give information about the history and life of the respective elephant that accompany the visitor.
2. Cooking for and Feeding the Elephant: It is a well- known fact that elephants have quite an appetite and they can eat for hours at a stretch. The visitors at Elefun can cook traditional Indian breads (Roti) for the elephants to feed them. The rotis prepared for the elephants are gigantic and one will really enjoy the process. There are bananas and sugarcanes in plenty to feed the elephants.
Since elephants are friendly animals, they become comfortable with the visitors very soon which makes it easy to feed them. The crew at Elefun also give information about the food they provide for elephants at the sanctuary.
3. Herbal Painting: Another activity that the visitors can indulge in is to paint the elephants with herbal, natural and non-toxic colors which are easy to wash off and harmless to the skin of the animal. One may be as creative as they can.
4. Take the Elephant for a Wash: Going for a scrub and wash with the elephant is the most fun part. Elephants love splashing water and visitors can engage in this activity. Elefun has a private bathing pool for the elephants and the crew takes utmost care of the hygiene of the pool. Bathing the elephant is the most amazing experience. After painting its body, you may wash off the color while bathing the animal.
Note: Washing or bathing activity is not included during the winter months since elephants tend to catch cold.
5. Walk with the Elephant or Ride bareback: The visitors can take their respective elephants for a walk around the sanctuary. This activity is included since an elephant tends to walk long distances every day and it becomes another way to create a bond between the animal and the visitor.
One may also opt for a bare back ride instead of walking with the elephant.
Image Gallery of Elefun Jaipur, India
Timings and Entry Fees of Elefun Jaipur
Timings: Elefun is open from 10:30 AM to 7:00 PM on all days of the week.
Entry fees: The entry fee to visit Elefun is INR 4500 per person for an entire day. Pick up and drop facilities, along with a one- time meal (lunch) are included in the price.
Places to visit near Elefun Jaipur
Amer Fort: Built by the Kachwaha Rajput King, Maharaja Sawai Man Singh I, the Amer fort is the architectural legacy of Medieval Indian ruling houses and radiates the essence of magnificence and grandiose. The fort was largely constructed of red sandstone and marble. This is a must visit place when one is in Jaipur to experience the amalgamation of Indian and Mughal architecture. Watching the light and sound show held during evenings is also highly recommended.
How to Reach Elefun Jaipur
Elefun is located in close proximity to Amer Fort, another popular tourist attraction in Jaipur. One can either take a public bus at Ajmeri Gate and MI Road or take an auto rickshaw to reach the place. However, the most convenient way to reach Elefun is to book a private cab from top car rental companies in Jaipur and combine a trip to Amer fort along with Elefun.
The Pink City offers rich heritage that needs to be explored by every history lover. We at Jaipur Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA make your Jaipur trip a fun filled experience by offering you Jaipur tour packages at affordable rates. Please fill the Contact Us form to know more.